Dentistry is part science, part art but all about people. The people part of the equation is easily neglected and can take professionals years in practice to realize the importance. But if there is one thing dentists and their team members need to really improve upon, it’s communication skills. Communication plays a vital role in breaking down barriers between the patient and dental health professional. Finding different ways to communicate that are equally beneficial will also help to strengthen the treatment alliance.
Finding other ways to communicate play a key role to your dental practice’s success. Whether it’s your everyday conversations, or using software internally, dental offices are constantly judged by how effectively they communicate with patients.
Different Ways to Communicate Effectively
A substantial portion of our communication is nonverbal. Every single day we respond to thousands—yes thousands—of nonverbal cues including a handshake, eye gaze, gestures and tone of voice, to name a few. One of the best solutions to finding different ways to communicate with your patient is to understand their non-verbal communication. Take into consideration all of their non-verbal cues from hello to goodbye. Watch their posture, eye contact and tone of voice for cues.
Probably one of the most important of all communication skills are listening skills. Listening well isn’t easy and rarely comes naturally. It’s an active experiencing, being a good listener, that involves your conscious effort. Achieve seriously effective listening skills by using these techniques:
- Show empathy and always acknowledge your patient's’ feelings and concerns
- Never interrupt while the patient is talking
- Repeat key words and ideas or paraphrase what the patient says to clarify
Boost Your Productivity & Communication Skills with OperaDDS.With OperaDDS you can become 30% more productive through better communication with staff and patients. If you’re searching for different ways to communicate in your dental office, OperaDDS is the way to go. Here’s how:
- PAGER: With this instant office messaging, you can keep your dental teams motivated and in sync. Communicate with your staff by simple one-touch paging and messages to devices you already have. Use custom checklist messages to receive all the information you want to know before entering the operatory.
- CHORUS: Secure collaboration with all of your labs and partners. HIPAA-compliance has never been easier (or more affordable) than with CHORUS. Send cases and emails of unlimited size and number securely, with notifications to your colleagues’ existing email address.
It's time to step up your communication game. Now you can communicate like the pros.
Download our checklist to skyrocket practice success! Effective communication is a critical component to running a successful dental practice. Is your practice's communication slowing you down? Download our Checklist to learn how to build powerful communication.